[at-l] Water

I am a fairly new hiker.  Hadn't done any backpacking since my Boy Scout
days (and not much there) until about three years ago.  Started with some
day hikes on the AT in Pennsylvania and continue to do day hiking in
Pa.  For the last three years have done a section hike on the Tuscarora
Trail in PA, camping one night and hiking two days each time.  Our longest
overnight pack hike has been 15 miles in one day.  It has been great.

My goal - when I can get the time off work - is to someday hike the entire
AT in PA.  (I'm *guessing* that's a 20-25 day affair???).  If I can reach
that goal, I'd like to build up to a thru-hike someday.

I want to get better at hiking and be prepared to go longer distances over
multiple nights.  Right now I know I pack too much and I am hauling way too
much on my back.  One place I over carry is water - and as you know - water
is HEAVY.  So I think if I fix that, I'll start heading in the right direction.

Walking along a trail, sourcing water as you go, how can you be sure that:

1) ...the water is OK to drink?  I know you can boil it or add iodine
tablets, but how do you know something non-bacterial that is still harmful
isn't in there??

2) ...water will be where the trail guide says it will be?  I've hunted for
some of those springs I've seen in the trail guide, to no avail.  If I had
been dependant, I'd be very thirsty.

Any other observations/hints/etc are very welcome.