[at-l] The Retry Blues

'92 was a miserable year on the AT in GA, NC, and Tenn.  It was not really
raining in the "flatlands", but clouds would pass over and not dump their
moisture.  But up along the trail, it would either rain, or the trees would
"drag" the moisture out of the clouds and it would seem like it was raining.
I remember one place where I spent half and hour stepping into a clearing
and back into the woods: It would "rain" on me as soon as I was under the
trees and stop when I stepped out into the clearing (I think it use to be an
old homestead).  And another day where the trail had wore way down, I walked
in rain rain and the fake streambed (the trail) was filled with water and my
feet were throughly soaked.

Now what has this to do with rentry blues?  Well as "miserable" as it was,
it took me several weeks to aclimated again to civilization.  The first
night back I did not have my car (my friends were restoring it for me --
classic '67 Cuda), and I could not sleep.  So I got up and hiked down the
nearest country highway and in the direction of the most country.  Then
another night, I drove to the most deserted river spot and sat.  A cop came
along and asked me what I was up to.  After talking to me, he seemed to
understand and warned me that the spot was a hangout for "druggies".  So I
drove to another spot.  Just could not stand civilization.

William , The Uncivilized Turtle