[at-l] Laurel Creek Lodge

Another way to look at it is to ask what is meant by "value". If they will only
part with the property for $500K and you want that property, expect to pay
$500K. But if they want to liquidate their investment, it must be understood
that the property is worth what an equivalent capital could generate invested,
with a discount or premium for the risks involved.

So, simplistically, if the capital to buy the hostel could generate 8% in bonds
or more uncertainly 11% in equities you would expect your $500K investment to
yield a certain $40k/year (or be rewarded for more uncertainty with perhaps
$55K/year).

I don't think the hostel will generate that kind of income. The books would
show.

So, despite the owner feeling that $500K or $525 is a reasonable price, if it
will only generate $20K - half (after expenses, including management costs but
excluding debt servicing) then the "value" is only half, or $250K. Unless you
just have to own that particular investment.

I suspect that the property will stay on the market for a long time, waiting for
that "particular"  buyer, or else the owner, seeking liquidity, will come WAY
down.

Gary from Fairfax, computer geek, but works around money geeks.

(Hi Tim!)