[at-l] Trailplace (delete now if so inclined)

<<WF's message boards rules are fairly simple and easy to remember. I
remember them and I only read them once. When I violate a
condition-of-membership rule, I expect to loose my membership. >>

Well Noble Path, that is all well and good. The problem is when people
(myself included) get kicked off for violating an 'unwritten' rule. As
someone who has run my own not-for-profit for sixteen years, I realize that
standards are crucial for operation. At the same time, fairness is even more
important for maintaining credibility. People who use his site do have an
obligation to follow the rules - unfortunately, Dan doesn't feel the same way.

<<I don't know you, I don't know the circumstances, I don't care to.  This is
how I feel about what I perceive to be someone looking for someplace to lay
the responsibility for their actions other than their own shoulders. >>

This seems to be the standard Wingfoot apoligist line - he does so much good
that he must be right. I'm not arguing that he a rotten guy or that he hurts
the trail. I talked to him for an hour in Hot Springs and found him amiable
and pleasant. That doesn't change the fact that it seems much of what he does
is calculated and divisive. Trailplace could have been a great site for the
Trail and the trail community. Instead it is a monolithic private fiefdom
that claims to represent ALL of our opinions. I can see a little guy running
around and waving his arms like the Lorax, 'I am the Wingfoot, I speak for
the Trail!' Maybe Dan, but not for everyone else who cares about it.

Joel

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---