[at-l] Reentry Journal:

--- Jan Leitschuh <janl2@mindspring.com> wrote:

> My main fear about a thru-hike is not bears, or
> lightening, or injury
> or  failure. It's RE-ENTRY!!!
> What if I don't fit in anymore (hell, that's already
> starting..)
> Would love for some to share their experiences...

I never fit in in the first place, so I guess it's
just a little more pronounced now. It's good to know
that there are places where I do have a real sense of
fitting in--even though that means walking alone in
the woods, talking with the trees (Ents?) and flowers.
The trail (usually) seems to be a bit more forgiving
of those who don't fit in. Hikers, too--I guess
because so many of us are part of the same "race."

Ah, now it's time to wax poetic. This is by memory, so
please forgive if I get a word or two wrong.

There's a race of men who don't fit in
A race that can't stay still
So the break the hearts of kith and kin
And they roam the world at will
They range the field and they rove the flood
And they climb the mountain's crest
Theirs is the curse of the gypsy blood
And they don't know how to rest
---Robert Service