[at-l] virus warnings

At 09:00 AM 8/22/01 -0400, Lamar Powell wrote:
>My company has sent out a warning advising us of two new viruses that are
>terribly destructive. These come to you in email form, one has the
>subject line: A Virtual Card For You, and the other subject line is: An
>Internet Flower For You.
>
>Our warning advises us to delete these immediately. Once opened the
>damage is done.  Hopeful

Your company is correct that these emails should be deleted but they are
hoaxes, not viruses.  The only damage they do is to clog up the net with
everyone warning everyone they know that there is a terrible virus on the
loose.  Before forwarding any "virus warning" check it out on the Symantec
web site http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html to verify whether it is
real.  McAfee and About.com also have virus hoax information.  Your
SysAdmin at work should be checking these sites before forwarding such
warnings.

sAunTerer
(P/T LAN Admin NYS DOL)