[at-l] Lightning/Question

In a message dated 8/21/01 8:57:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
bullard@northnet.org writes:

> How many times did you run into heavy electric
> storms?

The Storm I mentioned in my Bio had lightening strikes that we could see the
impact points or whatever you call them. Several times during that 4 or 5
mile decent from Birch Spring Shelter to The Road at Fontana Dam It was Pack
Off, Metal Hiking Staff down, move away to a depressed area between big rocks
and wait to see if it was my day to die or be a survivor of an electrocution
by mama nature. That smell was in the air.
More times than I care to remember while hiking or on long runs I've been
caught by storms with lightening strikes way too close. On one run I was
several miles out and had a tree struck on the other side of a two lane road.
I probably broke several world records over the next two or three miles But
I'll never know cause I was so shook that I didn't stop my watch when I got
back. For a hard-core runner, that does not happen.
So, Yes, the chances of a need to duck & cover are real. I'm sure you'll get
some sound advice as to how to handle the situations. But true to my trail
name I generally 'Hike-on.' I don't recommend that as the smartest approach.
Plum'Crazy

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---