[at-l] Fly-In AT?

Despite the name of the company, no planes can legally land in Baxter State Park. However, there are
several flying services that provide a similar service to hikers, hunters and fishermen. Folsom's in
Greenville is the largest.

I once hired a flying service (neither Folsoms nor Katahdin) to fly in a driver to drive my car over 200 miles of dirt roads
between Baker Lake on the St John River and Allagash village, in extreme north west Maine. Allagash
was the destination for our 10-day 125 mile canoe trip down the St. John. (We planned a very
leisurely pace). My aim was to explore the country, do some fishing and perhaps call attention to
resources that would be lost if the planned dams were built.

The plane arrived on time, dropped off the driver and left. The driver then announced. "Your car is an
automatic, isn't it? I don't know how to drive a manual."

After 10 minutes of instruction, he left jerking down the bumpy road. I never expected to see that
station wagon again, but it was at Allagash when we arrived, though for some reason the clutch died a
few months later.

BTW. Though planes can't land in Baxter, I don't believe there is any rules against flyovers. At
least I've flown over the park several times in years past. And yes, the dams were eventually
cancelled, though for reasons that had nothing to do with my story.

Weary