[at-l] Bister Sister's article in the WSJ

Nearing 70, the Blister
Sisters Hike On
By MICHAEL ALLEN

When my mother and her sister announced back in 1989 that they were going to=
=20
hike the Appalachian Trail, my dad and Uncle Dave predicted the ladies=20
wouldn't last a week.

In truth, Betty Sue and Barbara Jo were secretly preparing for failure=20
themselves. Both in their late 50s, neither had ever hoisted a real backpack=
.=20
The pictures they'd seen in National Geographic were pretty, but the two kne=
w=20
little else about the 2,167-mile trail stretching from the piney woods of=20
Georgia to the rugged wilderness of Maine. They told everybody they'd hike=20
for a month that first year. Just in case they couldn't hack it, they planne=
d=20
to check into a spa along the way and make up journal entries to cover the=20
missing days.

Blister Sisters Betty Sue Allen (left) and Barbara Jo Shenton on the=20
Appalachian Trail.=A0=20
They didn't know it at the time, but they were part of a growing trend in=20
so-called "high-adventure sports." Most women wouldn't be caught dead -- no=20
pun intended -- hang gliding or hunting or snowboarding. But nearly half of=20
the nation's 12.2 million serious hikers are women, according to the Outdoor=
=20
Industry Association. And the enthusiasts, men and women alike, are graying=20
fast. By last year, 43% were 45 and older, up from 33% in 1999.

It isn't at all uncommon these days to find yourself eating septuagenarian=20
dust on the trail. Outdoor author Earl Shaffer, who in 1948 became the first=
=20
person to complete the AT in one continuous hike, repeated his feat three=20
years ago -- at the age of 80. Senior hikers have been helped by the trend=20
toward lighter and better-padded gear. And, in the case of the Appalachian=20
Trail, which skirts nearly every major city on the East Coast, they're rarel=
y=20
far from a good orthopedic surgeon.

For my mom and Aunt Barbara Jo, the hiking idea started off as a lark. "It=20
just seemed like a good sisterly thing to do," my mom says. "We could have=20
gone to Europe but we decided to do this instead."

But the lark ended as soon as Dave dropped them off at the southern terminus=
=20
on Springer Mountain, Ga. Loaded down with nearly 40 pounds of gear each,=20
they could only manage 15 steps at a time before taking a break. After their=
=20
first night on the trail, they woke up to near-freezing temperatures and a=20
stove that wouldn't start. "Ate cold oatmeal and coffee," read the journal=20
entry for that day. And then: "Another day of thunder and lightning, wanting=
=20
to quit."

Beyond the physical difficulties, they were nervous about sleeping=20
arrangements. Rather than go to the trouble of pitching tents, hikers tend t=
o=20
shack up for the night in wooden shelters dotting the trail, often throwing=20
strangers of both sexes together. An electronic bulletin board dedicated to=20
the trail recently hosted an exchange about unwanted advances. "The very=20
nature of a thru [hike] sometimes indicates a midlife crisis, and a woman ma=
y=20
get herself in [an] ongoing hassle without realizing it," warned one writer.

As it turned out, the biggest pests for Mom and Barbara Jo were the mice tha=
t=20
ran through their hair in the shelters. And a good many of the men they met=20
were well past midlife. Four days into the hike, they spent a memorable nigh=
t=20
with a retired West Virginia auto mechanic, who, at the age of 71, was on=20
this third through-hike -- hence his trail name, "Rerun." They awoke the nex=
t=20
morning surrounded by eight inches of snow and passed the next two days=20
trying to keep a fire going until the storm blew over.

After that, things looked up. Their muscles began to harden and they got=20
their trail legs. They stayed on the trail for the whole month, covering 250=
=20
miles. When Mom emerged that year, tanned and 20 pounds lighter, she caught=20=
a=20
bus to Texas to see my newborn daughter, Samantha, her first grandchild.

As the years went by, the two developed a routine. Come spring, they'd dig=20
out their backpacks, load them up and stride around the neighborhood to get=20
into condition. Mom would start stacking fruit and meat in the dehydrator.=20
They divided up food rations and mailed them to post offices along their=20
route, and cut the ends off their toothbrushes to save weight. And then they=
=20
were off, disappearing for weeks as their husbands fended for themselves.

They mingled with an eccentric crowd, made stranger by the fact that hikers=20
tend to adopt pseudonyms -- a sort of nonvirtual Internet chat room. There=20
was Cool Breeze, an ex-musician of apparently independent means who wanders=20
the trail full-time, playing the penny whistle; Isis and Jackrabbit, two=20
sisters from Maine who hike barefoot; and Nimblewill Nomad, a retired=20
optometrist who decided to double his mileage by starting in Key West, Fla.,=
=20
and finishing in Cap de Gaspe, Quebec.

My mom and my aunt didn't hike in the summer of 1992. That's the year Uncle=20
Dave was diagnosed with bone cancer. Barbara Jo cared for him for the next=20
four years, until he died. Their parents' failing health knocked them off fo=
r=20
two more seasons.

And yet, in between, they kept rolling up the miles. By now known by their=20
trail name, the Blister Sisters, they negotiated the ankle-turning rocks of=20
Pennsylvania, the PUDs (pointless ups and downs) of New York and New=20
Hampshire's White Mountains. They cajoled eight grandkids into joining them=20
at one time or another, including Samantha, who logged 20 miles when she was=
=20
nine.

By last year, they were all set to finish. Then, just 117 miles short of the=
=20
goal, disaster. Sliding on a slab of slate in Maine's 100-mile wilderness,=20
Barbara Jo landed on her tailbone and couldn't even stand, much less walk th=
e=20
nine miles to the next campsite. A fellow hiker named Flybait went for help.=
=20
Seven hours later, nearly two dozen rescuers converged, including game=20
wardens, paramedics and townspeople from the nearest village, 27 miles away.=
=20
Using chainsaws to cut a path through deadwood, stretcher-bearers carried he=
r=20
to a four-wheel-drive ambulance. At the hospital, X-rays showed nothing wors=
e=20
than bruises, but that was it for the hike. Dejectedly, they hitched a ride=20
back to the airport.

Ten days ago, the Blister Sisters set out again from that same slab. If all=20
goes according to plan, they'll finish the trail atop Maine's Mt. Katahdin=20
this Friday, on my mom's 70th birthday. And if not? There's always next year=
.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---