[at-l] girls weekend report

Wel....we did indeed survive our first camping experience without Fur. I
thought you'd enjoy a report on our (miss)adventure. ....
We got a late start (imagine that) due to a trip to Wal-Mart for food
stuffs, and odd and end items needed. Two and a half hours later (not
kidding, ask Fur), and many threats that "I am going, but you kids are
NOT if you don't stop bickering",  we pull in the driveway to unload so
that we could load the trunk back up (a Pontiac Grand Am). Fur helped
the kids load the car, and told me "Do NOT open the trunk until you get
to the campsite".  I found out why when I started to unload....2
sleeping pads sprung out at us like a jack in the box. The oldest 2
girls were assigned to set up their tent (the plan - 1 tent for them and
Furs Clip Flashlight for me). The youngest was to help me unload the
rest of the car. It actually took all 4 of us to figure out how to hook
the spider looking poles up to the tent....but....we did it! It only
took an hour! It was nearing dark when we started to set up my tent. We
got it all staked down, and I asked for the poles. The reply..."what
poles?" You guessed it.....the poles were missing. We looked thru
everything, everywhere..no poles! I just "assumed" they were in there.
Down to the camp store pay phone to call Fur. He was stunned, because he
ALWAYS keeps his gear together.  Well.....now what do we do? There is
NOT enough room in the girls' tent! His parents were plannng to drive up
Sat. eveninng to visit, so I asked Fur to ask them to bring me a
different tent, and I would sleep in the car for a night.  We had no
problem getting a fire going (thank goodness), and it seems that a
camper across from us was even worse off than we were, as he kept coming
over asking for help on getting a fire going. We made foil packs that
were delicious! Well, except the girls wanted the ketchup and cheese
that we forgot to bring, in theirs. It was 10 pm before we were cleaned
up and ready for bed. They slept well, and after being all over the car,
I actually got some sleep too. We woke at 7:30, had breakfast played
cards, and were getting ready to go to the beach, when I discovered my
wedding band was gone!  I never take it off, so it must have fallen off
somewhere. We looked, but no, we didn't find it. We had a good day, and
in the evening, the inlaws brought the poles to the tent.....Fur had
found them, he had planned on rigging up a different sack , so they
indeed had been separated from the tent. I guess I should have
checked.....duh!  We had a fun visit with the folks, picking on his dad
unmercifully about HIS adventures as a Boy Scout. Tent time, and we
listened to Harry Potter on audio book till we fell asleep. Sun morning,
breakfast and a hike. I figured the small path near our sight, probably
would lead to The Homestead Trail. But after 15 min, the girls convinced
me we should go back, then DRIVE to the trail head - geesh...no sense of
adventure! We hiked awhile, but Dawn has knee prob's that were not
cooperating, so it became evident that it was time to go back down. Back
to break camp, ate lunch, packed up, and look around for what we
forgot....nope, nothing there! We went to the beach for a few more hours
before heading home.  We stopped at the office to see if the ring was
turned in....nope, but it was really "interresting" to see the items
that HAD been found. We were on the road home for only a few minutes,
wen it started pouring rain. Wow...we got out just in time. It poured
the whole way home. Fur was at the door with the dog, and gave us a
wonderful welcome home.  **********
I learned........that I rely on Fur too much when it comes to packing,
that the girls and I can make it on our own in the woods, that the girls
like camping, but will most likely not be hikers because it gave them no
joy - they were trying it for my benefit, and that I miss my ring:(

It was a good weekend!
Landslide (Nan)

http://community.webtv.net/FLATers/LANDSLIDESTRAILPLACE