[at-l] Hiking songs/poems

Okay, here's the version I sang in my second grade program at Burlington Elementary School, back in 1965:

THE HAPPY WANDERER

I love to go a-wandering
Along the mountain track.
And as I go, I love to sing
With a knapsack on my back:

Val-der-eee. Val-der-aaa. Val-der-eee
Val-der-ah ha ha ha ha ha
Val-der-eee. Val-der-aaa.
With a knapsack on my back.

I love to wander by the stream
That dances in the sun
And calls to me so joyfully
"Come join my happy fun."

Val-der-eee. Val-der-aaa. Val-der-eee
Val-der-ah ha ha ha ha ha
Val-der-eee. Val-der-aaa.
With a knapsack on my back.

(At which point the crowd bursts into spontaneous applause . .  .)

--Rhymin' Worm, remembering his costume, which included lederhosen and a staff.

Lynn Setzer <hikester@mindspring.com> wrote:
> I'm curious... in all of the bios thus far posted, no one has mentioned everhearing that wonderful, Austrian-derived song we san in grade school that
goes something like this:

"I love to go a-wandering
along the mountain tops

I love to go a'wandering,
my knapsack on my back.

Fol-de-re! Fol-da-rah!
Fold-de-re!  Fol-da-rah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

My knapsack on my back!"

I know I've probably mangled the lyrics....can anyone provide the correct
ones?

Lynn