Us and Them (was - Re: [at-l] a peck of pickle problems)

Very good to meet you Jim.  I am Carol aka artduck or
duckbuddy.  The name came from my granddaughter.  She
is the little duck, I am the big duck and together we
are duckbuddies.  I work as an executive director of
an arts council, thus it morphed into artduck.
Before the arts council I ran a humane society shelter
for ten years, before that domestic violence programs.
I married young, had two children, was married for
over 20 years when I discovered he was a child
molester. You wouldn't guess it to look at him. No one
really wants to go there.
I started backpacking with my father and two brothers
as a child.  My mother was allergic to the outdoors.
I lived in Europe for several years before returning
to the states.  I hiked the AT after coming back to
the states as sort of a welcome home trip in the early
80's.  Haven't much visited the trail much since then,
though I have mountain bike around the Pisgah now and
again.  Been mostly hiking in other terrians and other
states.   I had a foray into Canada two years ago and
did some desert hiking after that.  It was fantastic.
I hike as a way of keeping sane. I took up mountain
biking after being diagnosed with SLE.  I can do that
everyday whereas I have to wait for the weekends or
sometimes longer to hike.  I walk every night with one
of my three girls now.  The six year old can go four
miles a night without a single complaint, I wish I
could say that for the 23 year old.  Given my 17 y/o
topics of conversations, I can't quite call it
complaining but...
I live with a soccer angel now.  He has taken up
biking and I started coaching my granddaughter's
soccer team with him.  Our first date was hiking
around the Eno.  We discovered we walk well together.
It is good to meet the other members of the list.
--- Jim and/or Ginny Owen <spiriteagle99@hotmail.com>

=== message truncated ===