[at-l] How Wild Should We Be?

In a message dated 8/12/01 7:13:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ellen@clinic.net
writes:

<<  trail angels bringing pizzas, beer and sodas
  into the woods and mountains for whatever private demons that drive them.
Trail maintainers overly
  civilizing the treadway . >>

    I mostly agree, but I'm sure many old timer ATer's would hope that
certain types of trail angeling remain. There could be places where such
activity solidifies a Trail community and makes for a better Trail
experience. Perhaps angeling should be done in acceptable places near the
Trail and not on it. Harriman reminds me of an acceptable place, Shenandoah
campgrounds another.

    Another place where a case by case basis should be applied would be
trailbed improvement. I tend to err towards trail improvement. There are
places where the bed would assist in creating a better trail experience if it
was compatibly improved and made permanent. I believe these improved
treadways eventually grow in and become ancient. From there they become less
intrusive. The Shenandoah CCC trails are exemplary and show how a developed
treadway can both mix into forest surroundings and provide a better walking
experience. Another case would be the ancient iron ore stone railroad
causeways near Fahnstock. This is a heavily developed bed, but is, at the
same time, a novelty.

   Of course, in other cases a faint and wispy path through the forest can
also provide a wilder feel. So, it should be done case by case according to
surroundings, use, trail condition and desired experience. Some Trail
planners really have an instinct for it. Bob Peoples' new trailbed out of
Carvers Gap is an incredible example of an improved pathway capable of
handling the traffic it receives while solving a serious erosion problem that
was previously marring the scenery.