Re[6]: [at-l] Failing the List requirements

Weary -
As I said yesterday, you've asked some good questions - and for the most
part they're worthy of a waltz around the barn.  Just for grins, I've got a
couple comments on the questions.

Weary asked:
>Shall the trail be as wild as possible or as civilized and "safe" as
>possible? You can't have both.

"You can't have both" is a "standard" or "in the box" answer - it's what I
call a "preconceived notion".  If you think about it for a while instead of
taking it as incontrovertible fact, you might come up with other
possibilities.  One of my "life lessons" was that, in mathematics, there are
ALWAYS at least three ways to solve any problem.  And then I discovered that
it also applies to every other area of human endeavor as well.

>Will the viewsheds be protected, or will we allow local development to
>encroach to the edge of the corridor?

What corridor?  How wide?  1000 feet - or 10 miles?  Or something in
between?  Viewshed is a concept that I have problems with, in part because
of past performance on the part of ATC and NPS, in part because it makes
unwarranted assumptions, and in part because it ignores other, interrelated
and mutually dependent issues.

>Will hunting be encouraged, tolerated or prohibited.

Why is there a question about this?  In Pennsylvania much of the AT runs
through State Gamelands. These are specifically designated public hunting
lands which were bought and paid for by the hunters. To deny hunting in
those areas classifies in my mind as simple theft. For the rest of the
Trail, I think the situation is similar if not quite so  extreme.  There's a
concept (and a precedent) for you - hunting in a National Park.

As I recall, you're against stealing.  So am I.

>Will ski areas be allowed to expand, encroaching on the trail?

That's only a question if there's anyplace where it's likely to happen. My
memory may be faulty, but is there anyplace where expansion is likely to be
a problem in the future?  If not, then this is a non-issue.  If so, then
where?

>Will new ski areas be allowed to intrude into the view shed?

Define "viewshed".   It also brings up the question of "what makes hikers so
special that they should be accorded the power to control land, facilities,
etc. that others have paid the price for?"  The Hump Mt debate comes to mind
- although I did support the ATC stand on this.  But in a more general
context, if a hiker (thruhiker or not) can't tolerate 10 to 20 minutes of
the view of a working facility that employs tens, if not hundreds of people,
then who has the problem?  There's a level of selfishness that strikes me as
beyond reasonability.  Where to draw the line on this one would be an
interesting discussion.

>Will communication towers be allowed, and where?

Except for placement of towers actually on the Trail, this is also pretty
much a moot question - the towers on adjacent ridges are already there and
likely to stay.  I don't have to like it, but I don't have the power to
change it - nor does ATC, NPS, at-l, atml, the Sierra Club, AMC or any other
group or collection of groups.  As for new towers, if there are three towers
on the mountain across the valley, why do you think four or five or ....
whatever number will make a difference in your hike or your experience?  If
it does, then why?

Keep in mind that some of those towers aren't just cell phone towers - some
of them provide *your* long distance service, as well as fire, police, NPS,
USFS and military communications.  The FAA facility on Snowbird Mt comes to
mind - or maybe Mt Washington?  I think we might have a problem getting rid
of them - and create a whole new set of problems if we actually managed to
do it. Again - actions have consequences :-)

But keep in mind that I don't like them either.

>Will the trail be designed and maintained, mostly for the thru hiker, the
>day hiker, who?

Again, this is a moot question.  The Trail has been designed for day hikers
and section hikers since day one.  The individual clubs generally make those
decisions. And the people who make the decisions are rarely thruhikers, so
the thruhikers get to hike 2000+ miles of trail built essentially for
dayhikers/section hikers. Which means hiking trail that's built to be
"interesting" to someone who's out for a workout over a short distance.  In
point of fact, much of the AT - as with most other trails - is designed,
built and maintained by people who rarely, if ever, hike at all.

>Will ATVs, motor bikes share the trail with hikers?

You are certainly right in that this "could" become a possibility, but
unless or until Congress tries to change the law, it's also a moot question.
  In fact, one of the lessons the hiking community has yet to learn is that
"Congress giveth and Congress taketh away".  But if you can ask this
question, there may yet be hope that you're a proper cynic  :-)

>After four years of controversy snowmobiles were banned in Yellowstone. Now
>the policy is being reversed. If Yellowstone, why not the AT?

Uh-uh - not a valid analogy.  The snowmobiles have always been allowed in
Yellowstone.  The ban was recent - and not necessarily for good reason.  Nor
does it take an act of Congress to either ban them - or lift the ban. And I
haven't even touched on the differences between Yellowstone and the AT.

>Do we create buffers around the corridor? Maine is seeking $100 million in
>"forest legacy" funds to create a million acre no development zone in the
>north woods, most of which impacts on the trail.

I think you need to expand that statement.  How does it impact the AT?
There are three different issues here - the first is "the AT" and what part
of that million acres the actual AT passes through and how wide a corridor
are we talking about? And the second is - how much of that million acres is
what should be called "wilderness preservation".  If those two are lumped
together under the guise of "saving the AT", then I see that as a form of
dishonesty.  If it affects the AT then specify just how it does so.  That's
one legitimate issue.  The "preservation of wilderness" is another issue -
and generally a legitimate issue as well - but not always, in every case,
invariably. There are larger issues that the advocates of "wilderness
preservation" rarely seem to understand or consider.

I know - we're talking "viewshed" too -- again, define viewshed - and go
back to the questions regarding such.

The third issue is how it affects the world at large - the world that we all
live in outside of the AT corridor, the world of "people" as opposed to the
world of what some think of as "wilderness" (whether it is in actuality or
not).  If one can't answer this part of the equation then their answers are
short term answers, have no validity for the long term and will create even
greater problems for the world and for humanity in the future.

>The Bush administration proposes $30 million to be spread over the entire
>nation.

Write to your Congressmen and to the White House directly.  That's right - I
don't like it either.  But it's not something that'll be settled on an
e-mail list.  It's something that'll be settled by the number of letters and
personal visits that representatives in Washington receive. If you're not
writing, then you have no reason to complain if you don't like the end
results.

>These and scores of other issues will be decided in part on how willing
>trail people are to speak up. The ATC is ignoring the debate. The AT-List
>can't decide whether such things are even part
>of its mission. ATML is sulking in its corner, hoping for a new
>administration in four years.

The ATC is a bureaucracy, which means that it'll move when forced to - and
then it'll generally overreact.  You've said that it's a "small"
bureaucracy.  What you may not realize is that it's growing -- and looking
for justification for even more growth.  And that the larger it grows the
slower and more ossified it'll get. That's the nature of bureaucracies.

The list (at-l) is a hiking list - not a PAC.  Discussion of specific issues
is sometimes part of the package - but as someone said last night - it isn't
the "mission" of the list.  Nor do most of us want it to be.  But if you've
got something to say - then say it - keeping in mind that cramming it down
our throats will get you bitten.

As for atml - I think my only comment would be that the past is unchangeable
and the future is unknowable - so the present is the only time we ever can
have.  Those who wait for the future, waste their time and their lives.

>Unfortunately, by then, we will likely have passed the point of no return.

For a few issues I'd agree with you - for some of them, four years won't
make much difference, if any - and for a few, there are no satisfactory
solutions.  But remember - twenty years will present a whole new world, a
whole new set of problems --- and a whole new set of solutions.  With luck
we'll both be here to see them - and to  argue about them  :-)

>I've got to rush to put on another batch of pickles. Hmmm. Do I have my
>priorities straight?

I'll agree with others - your priorities are right.  :-)

Walk softly,
Jim