Re[3]: [at-l] Failing the List requirements

 Jim and/or Ginny posed a series of very interesting (to me) questions. But because his list is long and I get
 bored sitting too long in front of the computer, I think I'll respond one question at a time.

 "Puzzlement #1 – you say that, (name calling destroys debate) but you’ve taken a swipe at Sloetoe twice in
the last 48 hours.  How do you reconcile that?  Toey came back from a month
off-list, looked at his messages and told the list what he saw – a fresh
pair of eyes, with a fresh viewpoint said that you were one of the most
negative of those who had posted while he was gone"

Well Toey made the accusation that: "...You display a reliable stream of negatives;....and added, "Please exercise
your right of free association and assembly, AND LEAVE in search of some
other group where you'll find a better fit."

I think I called his remarks "ignorant" once. I can't find the second swipe, but I don't deny it.
However I certainly apologize for the lapse in good debate practice. Though I did resist saying
stronger things.

Let's see during the past month that Sloetoes reviewed I've claimed Goretex is only marginally
useful in boot construction; mildly defended Wingfoot from those who think he hurts the trail;
reported that I wear "killer" cotton in the outdoors 12 months a year, defended listening to "nuts"
and explained how a guy many called nuts lead to the recovery of 400,000 acres of public land in
Maine; posted a couple of thoughts on how to cook Lipton dinners, praised the Zip Stove, urged
support for the federal "Forest Legacy Program that Maine is using in an attempt to create a million
acres of protected forest near the trail, defended sending e-mails to politicians as being not as
good as letters and phone calls, but better than nothing; corrected sloe toes chronology of which
administrations did what for the trail (he agreed with the correction), claimed Wingfoot and RnR are
not the same person; urged support for land the ATC wants in Tennesseee to buffer the trail; told
Kahley that I really exist and gave her some names to check to be sure I was right; told a couple of
anecdotes about Bump & Margaret Smith's, 1970 thru hike; offered some ideas for a memorial for
MaineRose; told why I hiked in '93; defended hiking trails as opposed to driving near trails; urged
that Maine be kept as wild as possible; defended RnR (with somewhat faint praise); told my experiences with a
trail goat; debated the nature of the ATC; offered folks a free copy of my book Housewarming (3
accepted); told of meeting southbounder linguini on Whitecap; reported on ATC conference and
praised DeDoc's comments; praised Rick Bourdrie who has stopped posting because of the many
"negative" comments on RnR; discussed sunscreen, grandma Gatewood, water filters and trail safety;
opposed forced sexual advances on the trail and provided a couple of anecdotes; befriended unions,
especially those I served as a director of; opposed cigaret smoking; reported a fire danger in
Maine; opposed stealing trail registers ... the list could continue. But I don't think I've left out
any postings of significance.

I certainly agree a couple of posts were quite negative. I'm against tobacco companies, forest
fires, forced sexual advances and stealing. But I think overall I have been quite positive in the
month Sloetoes reviewed. Other than mistakenly calling his comments about me ignorant, I think I
generally had a lot of positive things to say. YMMV

Weary