Re[8]: [at-l] Failing the List requirements

"...The AT-L's mission isn't political,
it's a self-regulating email list with social and informational interests." David reminds us.

I think what I am saying and RnR is saying, and maybe others, is that some political issues are too
important to ignore -- even if it breeds dissension.

BTW. Upon reflection I was probably a little harsh in my criticism of ATC. They are reasonably aggressive in working
for buffers, especially through their trust for public lands  They have bought the ridgline of
Abraham, located a mile off the AT in Maine and have a lands consultant in Maine working on other
acquisitions.

I just think these efforts are woefully inadequate given the need. I'm not familiar with other
states, but the largest contiguous forest in the east is being broken up, subdivided, and sold in
Maine. Most of this forest has changed hands in recent years. We are sitting on a ticking time bomb
of development and almost no one is speaking up.

AMC funds a single person to work on protecting some of the more critical lands. A Northern Forest
Alliance has sputtered along for years. IN the meantime, what was a working forest, providing both
jobs for mill workers and a sense of wildness for hunters, fishermen and hikers, is being subdivided into 20,000
acre private house lots for computer-wealthy YUPPIES.

Weary