[at-l] Buying backpacks whats new? any great ideas out there?

i am looking at retiring my pack it has served me well and the after market
stitching i have had to do on it over the years has not been friendly to me
or the pack.  i find it is more and more uncomfortable to wear around with
less and less weight. the 1000 plus miles the previous owner and i put on it
have finally done it in.

i am gonna start to look aroudn and i have a few places to start looking.
any one have any suggestions i am always looking for more options.

i like "bag constructions" meaning no access zippers or pouches. i liek one
huge sack with a draw string closer and few bells and whistles. some of the
whistle and bells i like in the pack are to have a removable top pouch
(cover)  becasue i dont think i woudl use it that often but i might be nice
to have around for winter or something.  a water bladder holder and that
dual density foam casue that stuff is HEAVEN compaired to the stuff i have.

the size range i am looking for is not big and not small.  maybe 50-60Liter.
i figure i might be putting 45-50 pounds in it max  and normally carry 35-40
pounds

all that aside i still really like the feel of the Kelty trekker it is a
nice pack. although i find the woman model is more comfortable on me(but the
more s curved shoulder straps seem to rub into the front top of my arms
funny aroudn my shoulder).  odd i think.  last i checked i do not have the
hourlglass figure and i am a guy.  maybe i need to see a doctor about that
:)  but it seems easier to breath with the womans model

other than that i am gonna go to MEC in canada they seem to have packs that
meet that specs but i am nto sure how comfotable they are.  i am looking for
less of an ultralight pack and more of a rugged pack.

MEC Brio 50 or 60 (internal frame)
Kelty Trekker  (external frame)
and althoguh i hate to say it ... i found some north face packs that feel
comfortable once.
i am worried about the NorthFace pack holding up though.

right now i got a Mountainsmith it is way to big (70liter maybe) and very
heavy (7-8 pounds) and my stuff jsut can nto fill it up enough to get the
compression straps to work right. even when i place my full length ridge
rest in there and i can carry my tent instead of my bivy in there too.  but
i bought it at a time when i had trouble fitting all my gear in there.  i
used to use car camping gear reguallarly while i was getting my backpacking
stuff and the pack has carried in it well over 70 pounds at times. those
where interesting trips.  liek the time i was "training" and i filled it up
with water about 6 or so 2-liter bottles and walked up a small hill for 7
miles.  that was HEAVY.  though you should read "training" as "i wonder if i
can do this" and later that day "JEEZZ this was kinda stupid i am
hurting!!!"

anyway any suggestions? i woudl like to have about 7 or 8 potential packs
before i pick one.

Wisperlight