Re[2]: [at-l] ATC ad policy P.S.

At 06:02 AM 8/10/01 -0500, kahley wrote:
...clip...
>Personally, I don't want an adventure.  I want a pilgrimage.  I want
>respite from the hassles of life.  Easy access to info that will
>facilitate that respite would serve my purposes., but I see this as
>another aspect of the conflict about organized hiker feeds.

I go to the woods as a pilgrimage also.  In fact that is the source of my
chosen trail name (from the writings of HDT) but I study before I go.  I
know where I'm going.  I know what resources are available to me and where
my 'escape' routes are before I set out.  Yes, unexpected things come up,
but even a book of ads won't anticipate all the unexpected things that
might occur.  I believe it was John Lennen who said that "life is what
happens when you're planning other things".  Pilgrimages are about learning
things about yourself in relation to the universe.  I've learned in my half
century+ not to expect certainty or for that matter, even 'good luck'.

sAunTerer