Re[2]: [at-l] ATC ad policy

At 06:02 AM 8/10/01 -0500, kahley wrote:
...clip....  I might purely hate to see a clutter of ads at every shelter I
>visited but, at the same time, I think of someone who needed a dentist or
>a manipulater <g> and didn't know whether to hitch left or right at the
>next crossing,  ...clip...

Perhaps that's where such a guide needs to be, at the road crossing,  The
signs on interstate highways come to mind (food, lodging left, gas
right).  It would be under the jurisdiction of the highway people, come at
a point where civilization was already an intrusion (the road) and would be
more to the point than at a shelter some miles up the trail.  It could even
be perennial by using symbols rather than actual businesses that may or may
not be in business next season.

>As to the hassle for the maintainers, ignoring a book for a year before
>clearing it out would seem less of a hassle that ripping down the ads that
>get tacked up year round.

I can say from experience that where it's not allowed *at all*, it's no
hassle.  It's only a hassle when it is allowed with stipulations.  Then you
always get someone pushing the limits and getting PO'd when they aren't
allowed to do it.

For example, my biggest job used to be cleaning up junk from fire pits that
any fool should know doesn't burn (aluminum foil, tin cans, glass bottles,
etc., etc.) and removing illegal fire rings.  Since open fires were banned
in my sector the volume of trash has declined 80-90%.  Back when it was
allowed and I came upon someone in the act I used to suggest that what they
were doing was inappropriate and that if a ranger came by they'd get
fined.  After getting called all manner of names and being told where I
could put my suggestion I reverted to simply telling the rangers who then
ticketed the offenders (something they could have avoided by accepting
friendly advice).

Now it's not a question of when or where they can have an open
campfire.  They can't and it's totally clear to one and all at the trail
head.  You want to cook?  Take a stove (wood burners like the Sierra are
allowed).  Guess what?  I haven't had even *one* problem since the new
policy was implemented.

My bottom line(s):  It violates LNT.  A policy of okay under specified
conditions invites stretching the limits.  It violates LNT.  Shelters
aren't the best place for such information.  It violates LNT.  Etc. Etc.

sAunTerer