Re[5]: [at-l] ATC ad policy

"...Can you amplify this opinion? (that the ATC is wishy washy)", ASKS wALT.

Probably not as well as Walt can, because he is far more involved in the inner workings of the
organization.

But for starters I found their stand on Saddleback pretty pathetic. They gave away most everything
before the fight had hardly started; when you start out a discussion with millionaires by pushing
for your obvious final compromise position, you shouldn't expect a victory.

The simple fact that the Greymoor monastery resolution took 10 years and was
achieved with ATC mostly on the sidelines, publicly at least.

Their slowness to publicly enter the Hump Mountain
dispute.

The incredibly dumb listing of some mythical Boy Scout "thru" hike, and then arguing it was
a "journalistic" decision that couldn't be changed. Any responsible journalist would have simply
printed a correction.

One should not be surprised by such matters. It's built into the culture of the organization. For
most of its existence the trail was dependent on the whims of government agencies and private
landowners. Had compromise not been the rule, we wouldn't have a trail.

Now the trail is a government entity with a pretty powerful lobby backing it. But old habits die
hard.

Weary