[at-l] The "Right" to Solitude (was: ATC ad policy)

Being a mountain biker who belongs to organizations
and contributing my sweat to put in those expensive
new trails for the purpose of mountain biking, then
finding hikers using them...I and most bikers usually
call out, 'passing on the left!'
Yet I agree that certain trails and areas should be
foot access only.  Not just for the reasons listed,
but also because it perserves a part of our heritage.
I like the idea of my grandchildren being able to at
least visit a part of this nation that reflects what
it was like before we 'civilized' it.  I also like the
idea of there being a bit of wilderness somewhere
where wildlife can still be just that, not dodging
cars and construction crews.
I am more enamored of the thought of a bit of
wilderness that is allowed to exist untouched by our
improvements than just my right to solitude.  I like
the idea there is some place to find solace where I
feel a part of nature because I adapt to my
surroundings rather than change it to suit my desires.
 My sojourns into the wild teach me that many of my
needs are really just that...desires.  It helps me
define my own inner journey without the distractions
of the discordant noise people tend to make, but that
is not my motivating drive to support keeping the
wilderness wild..so to speak.  I think there should be
some part of this land that we share the trail with
more than ourselves.  Where we don't expect the
wildlife to adapt to our presence but respect the fact
we are in their living room. A very wondrous,
beautiful living room it is!
Perhaps I share with Weary a hope of occasionally
finding a kindred spirit.
artduck