[at-l] AD Policy

I think all (maybe just many?) of the Long Trail shelters have a standard
emergency contact information sheet posted in each shelter.  It's the same
poster you might see in a building somewhere but if I remember correctly,
the information tells which trailhead to use to get to a phone and where to
go once you get to the road.

I don't think informal registers are a reliable enough way to disseminate
important information.  They are too often filled and removed, used for
tinder, or just plain falling apart in the humidity.  While some area clubs
supply and collect the registers, most registers seem to "belong" to the
person who placed them there.  Hi use areas have such rapid turnover taht
information would be lost all too frequently.

I also like the idea of a shelter "notebook" with important "local"
information - from emergency numbers, to small informative ads, and maybe
even a bit of area history.  This should certainly keep the scraps left in
the shelters to a minimum.

Small roadside signs would also be useful.  While there are many crossings
where it's obvious what road you're on, there are other areas where if you
have to count roads, sometimes you don't know whether to count that slightly
overgrown old but still passable road you just passed.  Not all maps are all
that useful in those situations.

Mara
Stitches, GAME99