[at-l] Suggest A Section Hike?

Bryan,

It's a little farther north, but the last 30 miles south of Roanoke, VA
include Dragon's Tooth, Tinker Cliffs and McAfee's Knob, three rock
formations/cliffs that are highlights of the entire trail.  Without having
any information with me except the neat online AT distance calculator at
www.ragtag.org/atdist.html it looks like Buena Vista (U.S. highway 60 -
maybe near I-81) to Troutville/Daleville, VA at highways 220 and 11 (right
off 81) would be 77.7 miles.  That's pretty close if you're looking to
average 15 miles a day for five days.  It's a nice stretch, but then again
they all are.

For shuttles, e-mail the ATC from their website and ask for a list of
shuttle providers in GA, NC, TN and VA.  You'll probably get a response
within 24 hours.  The shuttler directory at trailplace might be up; if so,
it may be the only thing working over there these days.  If you settle on a
GA hike, Auntie Coosa sounds like she's available, but not widely
advertised....

Enjoy your hike.

Tim

On Tue, 07 Aug 2001 14:06:11 -0500, Bryan Fakes wrote:

>  I have about five days that I can hike next month, and I need some help
>  deciding where to go.  I need to stay in the southern part of the AT, and

>  I've already hiked from I-40 (north end of the Smokies) to Damascus, VA.
>
>  My first thought was to take on part of the AT in the Smokies that I've
not
>  done yet, from Newfound Gap to I-40.  But the shuttling factor looks
>  intimidating, as I can't spend a lot of time or money on getting my car
>  placed and getting back to where I begin hiking.
>
>  Next thought: is there any section from Springer to Fontana that would be
>  good five day hike and easy to get a shuttle?
>
>  Another thought: what about starting five days north of Damascus and
going
>  south into town?  Where would I start?  Could I leave a car there and get
>  shuttle to my starting point?
>
>  I have traditionally done 10-20 miles a day with a full pack.  Like last
>  summer I hiked 45 miles in 3 1/2 days in the Smokies.  I hiked from I-40
>  Hot Springs in two days on another hike.
>
>  All suggestions appreciated!
>
>  Dewman

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/