From: Bob Cummings [mailto:ellen@clinic.net]
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 2:36 PM
To: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [at-l] Three ridges

"You are one hardy woman to have taken on that climb as
your first section of the AT. There was no other place on the AT where I
read as
many derogatory remarks about trail design as the
first shelter north of Three Ridges. I'm not sure
there would have been any other design to use but the
2000 northbounders sure seemed to want to have someone
take a closer look at alternatives."

     The trail was not designed by thru hikers or for thru hikers, but by
day hikers and weekenders who seek a
     challenging hike. Thru hikers tend to seek easy ways to get north (or
south). Most others are
     looking for a physically challenging few hours or few days.

     FWIW I never especially noticed the Three Ridges when I went through in
1993. I had to consult
     the books and maps to figure out what everyone is complaining about.

Weary