From: <nnomad@pocketmail.com>
To: "Linda Benschop" <lvb@mindspring.com>
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 7:29 PM
Subject: RE: Re: Hi!

> Linda and Jan,
> Please forgive my slow ways...one more time.  I have downloaded your
message as I wait here in international port terminal in Portland, ME...for
the 11 hour ferry ride to Nova Scotia.  From there it's a day's bus ride
across that island, then another ferry ride to the southern tip of
Newfoundland.  I'll probably be there a month or two on this hike...don't
have a clue as to these mountains, nobody seems to know a thing about them.
(please see cut-and-paste to follow)  Keep me in your prayers, and...
> God Bless, Eb
> Ten Million Steps, the book   www.nimblewillnomad.com
>
> It has been pointed out to me numerous times, always in the most-kind way,
that when I claim to have hiked the entire Appalachian Range, that indeed I
have not.  These instructional lessons (in geography/geology) point to the
fact that the Appalachians continue across the Gulf of St. Lawrence to
emerge again on the island of Newfoundland.
> Being of a mindset and one not caring for unfinished business, on the 4th
of this month the old Nomad will depart for these far off lands to the
north, to hike the remaining 500M in the Long Range Mountains of
Newfoundland...across the Gulf of St. Lawrence, from Cabot Strait to Cook's
Harbor at the Strait of Belle Isle.  A little luck and the good Lord
willin', this will be a first...the conclusion of a hike o'er the entire
Appalachian Range of mountains, at least as we know them to exist on the
North American Continent.