[at-l] Ready's Journal August 2 TD 49

Ready is feeling better..she has been manipulated!!!!!!

We awaken in a soft, comfy bed sometime after 7:30 AM.
We each took a shower - that's two showers in fewer than 10 hours!
Breakfast was ice cold cranberry juice, pipin' hot coffee,
hot off the griddle pancakes with fresh-picked blueberries,
and great company! Much more of this easy living and I'm
gonna process change of address forms! [vbg]
Before hitting the trail we had some chores to finish up.
After several calls, we managed to get an appointment to
see a local chiropractor. We also left messages with my
dentist to arrange for a prescription to be called in to a
local CVS pharmacy.
As we were about to leave Spur discovered that he didn't
have the data book. We tore up all our gear and retraced
our steps - no luck. Back in the bedroom, I saw that it had
fallen off the foot end of the bed and was wedged between
the quilt and the footboard. We got out the door only 5
minutes later than planned. It's good to be organized.
The visit to the chiropractor went well. This is my 2nd visit
with 2 different ones in about a week. Each was fascinated
by our current endeavor and each asked as many questions
about the hike as about the pain I was feeling.
In each case, he was extremely thorough in assessing my
posture and condition, in general. During this 2nd visit I went
through at least a 12 manipulations - wow!
I left the bench feeling looser but also a tad sore. He gave me
advice to stretch often, to continue experimenting with different
strides and to KEEP WALKING! This has been the advice of
all the medical practitioners whom we have consulted.
A trip to the drugstore to pick up the medication for me and a
new toothbrush for Spur, then to a cute little restaurant for lunch,
and then back to the trailhead. There we met up with Stocks
and Flash who were treated to cold lemonade by Kimosabe
and Mother Hen.
Hugs all around and we were hiking by 2:40. Only 7 miles to
Upper Goose Pond Cabin, where we hoped to fit in a little swim
before bedtime.
There were some climbs for these 7 miles, the first one was
especially steep. The downhills were numerous too. Per the
chiropractor's suggestion, I experimented with walking backwards
on one steep, rocky one and was delighted to find that I could do
the descent with an elongated stride and, best of all, no pain!
I'm sure it looks strange - something out of Monty Python - but
I'm not gonna let something that works escape my "repertoire"
of pain management tricks just because I looks kinda funny! :-).
My concern about this method is that I need to twist to see over
my shoulder. Fix one problem, introduce a new one; will a sore
neck be a potential problem? We'll see.
We got to the cabin by 6:00 PM - great timing! Isis and Jack
Rabbit were there, and just as we arrived, Isis greeted us with
a loaf of freshly baked challah! Wow!
We sat on the porch for awhile, chatting with many of the folks
who were there, then took a short dip in the pond. We pitched
our tent, made and ate dinner, and retired for the night. Spur
journaled, while I simply fell asleep - I was absolutely exhausted.
We would have a relaxed morning at the Cabin and do only 5
miles in the afternoon tomorrow.

multipart/mixed
---