[at-l] Anticipating the Perseids

>From  http://science.msfc.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast31jul_1.htm
Summer nights and shooting stars. They're
an unbeatable combination. That's why northern sky
watchers look forward so to the annual Perseids meteor
shower in August. During the shower's peak, which
happens this year on August 12th, dozens and sometimes
hundreds of meteors shoot across the sky every hour.
Dark-sky observers who stay out all night sometimes count
more than a thousand!....end quote

One of the most memorable nights I have ever spent was
lying on my back on the top of a bluff during the Prerseids.
We had no clue that it was coming....total happenstance but
spellbound we talked of Triffids and UFO's and what the heck
is going on?  We really did see hundreds and hundreds of
streaks in the sky.   finally, why it was happening was no longer
important.....it just _was_ and we were privileged to be there
and see it.  If you have never experienced this I urge you to
hope for clear skys and lay on your back for a celestial treat.

multipart/mixed
---