[at-l] Quit-smoking hike in Georgia

> Kahley said:
> > Yes please.....wax away.  In fact anyone who has quit ....lay it on
> > us.  I'm not the only one here who really needs to quit and can't
> > go on the cessation hike.  What did ya'll do to quit?  Tips?
> > Strategies?  What didn't work?

I quit 14 years ago on MLK day. I was up to 3 packs a day and had been smoking
for 19 years. I got a physician to prescribe Nicorrete gum but only used it for
3 days and then went cold turkey; I figured anything was better than that nasty
gum. I carried an unopened pack of Viceroys (always loved the irony of that
brand name) around with me in my shirt pocket for three weeks "just in case".
Never opened them, finally threw them away.

I quit because my 950 gram preemie daughter (that's 2 pounds 1 1/2 ounces -
about the weight of my tent) wouldn't be able to tolerate smoke with her weak
lungs when she came home after 3 months in the Fairfax Hospital neonatal ICU. My
wife had just come out of the coma (CVI following pre-eclampsia) and off the
ventilator and we didn't know yet she was now blind (hypertensive retinopathy).

I haven't had a cigarette since.

Sorry, but I still miss them.

- Gary from Fairfax