[at-l] ATC ad policy

Although the ATC ad policy is open for discussion, it does not have
completely free rein in what it can cover/permit/disallow. Most of the AT
land is owned either by NPS or USFS and they have existing policies that
severely restrict advertising, perhaps moreso than ATC might be willing to
tolerate.

> Geez, doesn't the ATC already have enough to do? Where
> do these kinds of things originate anyhow?
Yes we have more than enough to do. The need for a policy originates because
local businesses try to push the envelope of what is permitted. As trail
managers we have to stay within the guidelines of what is permitted by the
NPS/USFS management agreement. ATC has to tell (i.e. set a policy) the
maintainers what they can and cannot do with respect to advertising on the
trail.

Any solution short of a complete ban will involve extensive discussion with
the government agencies. Advertising right along roads is probably in the
local jurisdiction of the state or local DOT and what their rules permit.

There are literally hundreds of possible "policies" that might have to be
considered at some point in the future. To the extent possible, ATC likes
its policies to apply trail-wide. For example there could be an ATC policy
on outhouses. But the rules vary considerably from state to state and a
policy could say little more than follow the local rules. The need for a new
policy is usually created by someone raising the issue or exceeding
reasonable bounds on permitted behavior.

One proposal for advertising is to publish ads in the Companion or Handbook
or perhaps even the databook. This could result in a small revenue stream
for the publishers while protecting the natural environment and experience.

Another solution that might satisfy NPS/USFS is signs near trailheads using
generic symbols for food, lodging etc. with directions and distances, but
not names of establishments.