[at-l] Jeeps (was Sure-Thing Hitchiking)

At 10:12 AM 8/5/01 -0400, DaRedhead@aol.com wrote:

>Mom had a Jeep Cherokee, so we never hesitated to pick up hikers with dogs
>:-).  I guess everyone's experience of a vehicle is peculiar to the
>individual vehicle, not the brand.  She never had a thing go wrong in all her
>years of Jeep owning - while every car I've owned, even the new ones, seemed
>to be in the shop a large majority of time. (Maybe cars are just allergic to
>me??)  Her, all she ever did was regular maintenance, and got over 200k out
>of every one - and when it came time to trade for a new one, the value of the
>Jeep was always still high.  Go figure.

Back when I was riding a Honda Shadow a loyal Harley owner friend was
trying to tell me I should by a Harley.  I complained that they were
expensive, even the used ones (there's that high resale value again) and he
replied "Yeah, but unlike the Hondas, they're infinitely
repairable".  After a short pause he added "Good thing, too".  The older
Harley's had a reputation for being a tinkerer's bike because they needed
repair a lot.  Similarly, it may be just the vintage of the Jeeps in
question.  That company has changed hands a lot.  I suspect there may be
some PUDs in the chart of the quality they put out.

sAunTerer