[at-l] potato soup report

At our home, soup is most often a cool weather meal. However, Diana, my
wife, found some dried, instant soup mixes at the Sams store. One can
makes about 24 cups of soups. We tried the potato soup for lunch today
and I was impressed enough to want to share some info with the List.
There are other flavors also.

I guess I am most impressed with my wife. She is not a hiker but I am so
fortunate that she is most supportive of our (Deluge and me) hiking
habit. She is always on the look out for light weight foods, high in
energy. Well, this soup comes in at about 160 calories per cup. The dry
powder needed to make one cup weighs about 1.5 ounce (1/3 cup dry
measure). We added cheese which added another 100 calories or so. Just
the soup alone tastes very good to me so the extras would be just for
energy sake.

We tried to compare the cost of making our own dehydrated potato soup and
our best guess is that we'd come close to the $6.50 that the can of
instant mix costs, with all its seasoning and such. For those who like to
have something hot at mid day, I think this soup mix is worth considering
for cool weather hiking. The brand name is Bear Creek.  Hopeful
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.