[at-l] I appreciate any and all advice....:)

I think you would do well to start pricing gear now if
you do not have the necessary items.  My husband left
with all my gear and refused to return it out of
spite.  I had to replace everything from socks to a
tent.  It really started to add up.
My daughter and I were planning to do a thru hike
together (her first) next year.  The rat (he calls
himself bear, but I think anyone who would take
someone's hiking gear is a lower form of animal) also
took a good bit of her gear.  The cost of replacing
has postponed our plans a year.  My experience is that
there are some things you can skimp on, but a good
pair of shoes isn't one of them.  If you have never
hiked before I would start taking weekend hikes and
extend out to week or two week hikes at first just to
make sure you have the right shoes.  When I was 16, I
hiked the AT for the first time in a pair of boots
that tore up my feet something terrible. I wished I
had tried hiking in them before hitting the trail.
Learned a hard lesson.  There is no experience to
equal taking that long walk.
artduck