[at-l] North Carolina Vacation Vaguely Trail Related

My wife Sue's cousins arrived at Crystal lake about 1 PM on saturday July 7th
to take over management of our vacation cottage business for the next week
and 1/2.  We left New Hampshire about 3 PM after giving Jack and Jan (the
cousins) detailed instructions on how to deal with the various problems that
come up including PLUMBING.  We spent the night in our house in CT then
headed to Hertz to rent a car fearing 3000 miles added to the 250,000 miles
already on the odometer of our best car would be risky.  If the Hertz car
broke down it would be their problem to get us back on the road.  We ended up
with a Hyundai.  So by 11 AM on Sunday July 8th we were heading south.
    We booked a motel in Chambersburg, PA with a nice pool so Sue could get
appropriate exercise for her FibroMyalgia.  Walking and swimming as well as
diet make a big difference to her.   Monday morning I got up early and jogged
around a mall for an hour or so while Sue swam in the motel pool.  We had
breakfast in our room the confirmed our reservation for the return trip and
hit the trail sout on Rt I-81 by 10 PM.
    We made several stops along the way for stretches and food.  And we made
a side trip to Damascus, Va.  He showed Sue where the AT came into and left
town.  We never got out of the car but it was a great thrill for me.  I'm not
sure Sue understood the significance.  We made it into Asheville about 8:30
PM and we imediately made some calls to the nursing home that Sue's sister
live in with MS,  the mother of a friend -Laura -who was renting a cottage
from us and we called Cheryl and Sly.
    Tuesday morning we spent some time with Sue's sister Linda then took a
spin on the Blue Ridge Parkway - Sly's advice- Stopped at the Folk Art
Center, had a picknick then headed over to visit Laura's mom in Black
Mountain.
    Wed after a visit with Linda we drove to Mt Mitchell.  Walked up to the
base of the tower.  Sue could not make it up the tower but I did and spent
1/2 hour taking in the views and talking with people.  We left the mountain
and stopped at Craggy Garden Picknick area.  I took a walk along the Craggy
Garden trail - Sue didn't like that I left her for 20 minutes.  I'm always
getting in trouble when it come to hiking.  Got back to the motel about 4:30
PM.   Took a brisk swim in the pool then waited for Cheryl to arrive at 5:15
sharp.  Cheryl rode with us to Mt Pisgah.  We had dinner at the inn on the
mountain and gabbed about all kinds of things including hiking.  I mentioned
to Cheryl that we spotted trail signs for the Mountains to Shore Trail on the
Summit of Mt Mitchell and that got us into some nice discriptions of that
trail from Cheryl.
    Next morning Thursday, July 12th, after our morning walks and swims, we
had breakfast with Sly.  It would have been fun to meet with Sly and Cheryl
at the same time but they work different shifts so would only be possible
between 11 PM and 7 AM - my time to sleep.  Since Sue had her fill of
mountains, Sly and I talked for a few hours outside the motel room.  Sue made
us tuna sandwiches from foil packed tunafish for lunch.  After lunch Sue and
I headed for the art musium in downtown Asheville.  We saw the Linda
McCartney Photo Exhibit - Travels. And took in a movie - Pearl Harbor - I
thought it was very good.  Sly left the ATC Convention materials for me -
thanks Sly.  I never thought about the fact that Chambersburg was only 10
miles away from the Convention site.  Unfortunately we had to get back to NH
and were not able to make the side trip.  Maybe next year.
    Friday morning we started our return trip after settling our bill with
the motel. Stopped again in Chambersburg PA and again in CT then back to
Crystal Lake in NH.  Sue was pissed that she got a ticket for speeding 80 in
65 mph zone.  It has always been with much pride that she had no blemishes on
her driving record and I have one ticket for going through a red light, and a
few warnings.
    It was wonderful to finally meet my internet friends Cheryl and Sly.  The
mountains near Asheville are spectacular.  It would be a great place in which
to retire.  Sorry that POG was out of town but the world does not rotate
about me.

                                                Art