Re[2]: ATML Re[2]: [at-l] ATC Conference

--- Bob Cummings <ellen@clinic.net> wrote:
no problems.
> However, that proves nothing. Most of the water you
> consume on the trail is clean. Healthy young

I would think most doctors will agree that the cause
of most GI illnesses on the trail is not due to bad
water, but poor hygene, which is an all too common
fact on a thru-hike.  Partially clean cook pots, hands
not cleaned properly after 'number two', sharing food
AFTER the previous activity, etc. all create a climate
in which bacteria breeds quite nicely and can cause
some nasty illnesses.

Part of my equipment now is a small vial of alcohol
based hand sanitizer. I believe Purell (sp?) is the
brand name. (I always buy the Albertson store brand
which comes in a convenient small bottle).   The
little bit of extra weight is sure better than
squatting on the trail every half hour or so because
of a case of the trekker trots.

Treating water is nice, but basic sanitation is even
better. (A lesson, I must admit, I learned the hard
way on the AT, along with others.)

=====