[at-l] PA Ruck publicity

At 08:22 PM 7/21/01 -0400, Steve Landis wrote:

>The P* R**k reference was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.  I was
>acknowledging a previous post by Kahley (I think) who was not happy
>about the publicity that the PA Ruck was getting on the ATC site.

Not unhappy...just a little nervous.
And please don't let my angst get overblown.
As to the crowding of the Ruck, for most people it hasn't
been a problem (cept maybe for the showering issue <grin>).

I'm one of those people for whom 12 is a crowd!  But this years
Ruck was much better than last years in that regard and I think a lot of
that was due to the simpler format.  In '00, the auction and fundraising just
had me a nervous wreck from the git go so it didn't take much to
drive me outside.<yikes>.

This year was much better!  The good thing about the Mansion is that
there are places to which to retreat if the noise level gets to you,
including one of the best porches in the world! Of course the fact that
the porch looks out on the AT has "nothing" to do with anything HAHA

And as to the food issue, to be honest, part of it has to do with
money.  As I said,
the Ruck kitty collected 42 and change which just isn't enough to feed people
for a weekend.  Plus, there is other stuff to do so people don't want
to commit to kitchen duty.  That's pretty easy to understand!  But it's not
fair
to the people like Navigator and Sweet Pea who take up the slack.  Jeeze...
let's travel from Florida to Pa and spend the weekend in the kitchen...NOT <g>.

So you have a few people who bring more than their share and do more than
their share and some who don't bring anything or help out.  Nothing new there,
but it's still not fair so it seems the best thing to do is to let people
be responsible
more of their own food.  But if someone else wants to take on Saturday
breakfast
and lunch....go for it!!

There will still be the welcome pasta on Friday nite, and the pot luck
supper on
Saturday and Bear Bag's Blueberry Pancakes on Sun AM if ya get up in time.
Doc cooks'em fast and when he's done, they're gone <g> and he and Sweet
Pea are off to church.

As to the listing on the ATC and site, I say, let it stand.  This year
people found
the Ruck that way.  Jeff and Joyce as example.  He is a long haul trucker and
drove straight thru from the west coast to join Joyce for the Ruck.  They were
just so grateful for the opportunity to be there and learn.  They weren't
on AT-L
and didn't have the chance to ask questions whenever they wanted. And there
was another guy, and I can't remember his name, but he just found us and
showed up.  It was funny....I met him in the parking lot and proceeded to
tell him how to register at the hostel or the campground.  He stammered around
until he finally got it out that he was saving all his bucks for his thru
and he was
hoping to join the parking lot people!  He's still on the Trail as is Jeff,
Joyce had
to take some time off for medical reasons but she'll be back on the Trail
with Jeff
soon!  At least three people who used the Ruck for it's "traditional"
purpose <grin> who
wouldn't have found us without the ATC.  I'm not trying to overblow the Ruck...
people have been thruing long before it was conceived.  But, if we're about
sharing info and validating the desire to thru, I can't see cutting off a
way for folks to
find it.

---