[at-l] Gorham Hostels

I've never stayed  at the Barn but I've visited it a few times.  I have
stayed at HP.

Hiker's Paradise is a somewhat traditional private hostel operated at the
same facilities as a regular motel.  The hostel is in the main house and has
three areas, each with it's own kitchen/common room.  All kitchens have
stove, oven, and fridge.  There are also kitchen utensils, plates,
silverware, etc. available.  The rooms in each hostel area hold anywhere
from one to four beds.  You get linens and towels to use when you check in
and then you go pick your own bed.  It is heated and is open year round.  HP
offers breakfast on the premises.  Bruce is available for shuttles and
slackpacks.

The Barn is one of those "outside" hostels.  It really is in a barn.  There
are mattresses (don't remember if they're on the floor or not) in the loft
upstairs in one large room.  There is one common area on the ground floor.
I think there is a fridge but I don't remember about the rest of the kitchen
facilities.  The barn doors are often wide open so you can hang out inside
but still get fresh air.  I believe it is closed in the winter as there is
no way to heat the place.  It's more along the lines of the Hikers Welcome
hostel in Glencliff.  I've never checked out the bathroom/shower facilities
so can't comment.  (Maybe Rockdancer can provide more info about the Barn?)

There are plenty of places to eat in town.  My favorite breakfast/lunch spot
is Loaf Around.  It's just around the corner from the outfitters on the side
street.  They have about 25 different types of bread and some wonderful
breakfast and lunch specials.  My favorite breakfast:  French toasted cream
cheese sandwiches with strawberry-banana sauce.  My favorite lunch:  The
curried sweet potato (or something like that) soup.  YUM!

Hope this helps,
Mara