[at-l] Gooch Gap Shelter

Hopeful and Wild Bill,

Thanks for passing along the suggestion for admitting light to shelters.
I'm sure this will be a good solution:

>So we are putting in
> shutters in
> each end of the loft and in the back of the lower level.  They can
> be opened
> to let in light and have the added benefit of increasing air
> circulation when the air is hot.

But just so the statement about translucent plastic roofing panels being
"less than" does not go unchallenged - and become accepted as "gospel"
among trail shelter builders -  let it be known that there ARE plastic
panels that last, and resist damage as well as tin.

I have had at least three barns with these panels in the roof, and under
limb-shedding pines - in hurricane country. Often, the nails tear the
roofing tin before the plastic is damaged.

The only comment I might add is that an excess of such panels could
cause a shelter to heat up on a sunny day - a greenhouse effect. Welcome
in winter, appalling on a summer's day. But I think one panel would do
it for a simple 6-8 person shed.
> There was
> discussion about several different materials, such as lexan and
> plastic, but
> none hold up over time and can be damaged.
My direct experience over several decades is to the contrary. Just
tossing that into the AT pot.
Best,
Jan Leitschuh
(say "light" "shoe")