[at-l] Notes

While the fee system is supposed to be a demonstration and only a means of
adding to budget via user fees, it has its problems. It is unclear that the
user fees return to fund maintenance or improvements for the site. There is
little connection between the fees and any service rendered, much less to
the amount of "use" implied in the fee. I believe that you are supposed to
pay the fee even for simply driving up, parking, and taking a view before
driving on. I can see this to some degree in the BLM parks out west where
visitor's center and toilet facilities can be found. But Springer's bare
dirt parking lot seems a bit extreme. Woody Gap's picnic tables and trash
bins _might_ justify the fee, but I agree with your reaction.

BTW, did you make it down to Gooch Gap this weekend? The AJC indicates that
the new shelter opened yesterday.

Bill...