[at-l] The Mysteries of Hiking?

Often, when we talk about hiking, we talk about its pleasures.  (I know =
I do!)

But here's a different twist:

What the heck are those gnats that swarm in front of your face about?  =
Where do they go when I'm not hiking?   Why do they swarm constantly, =
six inches from my face? What is it about a human face that they like so =
much?  And how do they find the energy it takes to swarm?  Don't those =
suckers ever eat?

Anybody out there with insight into gnat behavior?  Inquiring minds want =
to know.

I have to say, after spending a week in Shenandoah, that the swarming =
gnats caused more angst than the 13 bears (one was a mom and three cubs) =
and the 1 timber rattler we saw. =20

And, anybody else with any other similar "mysteries" of hiking? =20

Lynn

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---