[at-l] What Has Hiking Given You?

Went for a hike in Doughton Park yesterday in Allegheny Co. NC up near
Wilkesboro. Did the Grassy Gap Trail a mile and a half to pay our respects to
Alice Caudill. Alice lies in a small, but apparently cared for grave. We then
headed up the Basin Cove Trail close to 3.5mi to see the Caudill cabin that
still stands up near Bobcat Ridge.  It is the only cabin still standing.

Today marks the 85th anniversary of a flood here in Western NC that was the
result of 2 former hurricanes, one that made landfall at the Gulf, the other
at the Atlantic and they met up over the NC Mountains and delivered 6 days of
torrential rainfall. The ensuing floods killed many. So many that the death
of one young girl in a hollow in the mountains probably was not of particular
note.

We did this hike the first time in 1996 and that was when we found a small
grave with a small, very weather-worn, soapstone headstone. There is a small
foot marker, and the grave is outlined in small rocks. On the headstone, near
the top, is carved a dove in flight with an olive branch. The inscription
reads, Alice Caudill, Wife Of Famon
Born May 18, 1901   Died July 15, 1916.  I was intrigued. Alice was a little
thing judging by the outline of the grave. Only 15 years old, married, and
deceased. To the left, and behind her grave, at the foot of the mountain, are
the scattered remains of an old rock fireplace and chimney, and the rock
piers on which the cabin was constructed. In the dark, fern filled, humid
still of the cove, the scene is haunting.

That is what led me into finding out all that I could about the people that
lived in this cove and how they existed and how they died. And I guess that
is what compelled me to do this particular hike yesterday.

It also made me think how my reasons for hiking have changed over the years
and what I am looking to take with me from my hike. When I was younger, I
used to go for distance, and occasionally distance and time. At some point, I
developed an interest in the wildflowers, in their identification, then
seeking out the rarer ones, and then finally cultivating them.  Finding
Alices grave sparked an interest in the relics and the "ghosts" of the past.
Largely forgotten people, that inhabited the coves and hollows and somehow
eked out enough from the rocky, steep, slopes to survive. The toughness and
ingenuity it took amazes me.  Hiking has taken me many places that I
otherwise would never have gone, and been much poorer for not having done so.

I have found out what happened to Alice and the circumstances. She married
Famon Caudill when she was 14, on January 16, 1916. Famon built the cabin,
the remains of which I described. Quickly, Alice Adams, now Alice Caudill
became pregnant. Times were changing, even in the deeply hidden coves of
North Carolina and Famon took a job with the railroad laying track in
Virginia to support his new family. That is where he was when the 6 days of
heavy rain caused the mud slide to take the cabin, and with it Alice, their
unborn child, Alices mother, and Cornelius (Famons brother). Mrs. Adams and
Cornelius were staying with Alice until Famon returned. This occurred 85
years ago today, July 15, 1916.

The point of this? None. I usually lurk and will go back to doing so. I
thought this might spark a discussion as to what others derive from their
hiking experiences and that would be much more interesting than the WF topic
that most are growing Weary of...pun intended. I also wanted others to know
about Alice so she might live on a bit longer.

Happy Trails
msthiker
Bob Schley

multipart/alternative