[at-l] Minor trip report

I stepped backwards down two steps at the beach that I didn't know were
there last week and wrenched my knee - same knee that got arthoscoped 3
years ago. Knee (now known as Rice Crispies - apologies to  Trail Boss)
didn't like that. I have been babying it for the last ten days, but
Wednesday walked four miles on it on the W&OD Trail and although it is
uncomfortable, it didn't actually hurt. Sure is noisy these days,
though.

So today being my flex day off, I got up at  4:25 and drove to below the
Thornton Gap crossing of Skyline Drive in SNP. I parked at 5:47 and
proceeded across the stepping stones across the Thornton River and up
the Buck Hollow Trail.

Temperature was 70, perfect for hiking. The trail rises 1900 feet in 3
miles, crosses Skyline Drive, and connects to Meadow Spring Trail for
another 500 feet and .5 mile to the AT. 2400 feet in 3.5 miles would
give me a pretty good indication of just how healed up the knee was.

At the AT the temperature was down to 57. How I do love cool hiking - I
made the ascent up without a single break. I saw a doe and her fawn as I
recrossed SLD. This was the first time I had been in the Park since the
October '99 fire and the damage was pretty extensive, but the land is
recovering. The laurel was killed off for half mile stretches but is
already coming back from the roots. Many blazes were burned off the
trees on Buck Ridge Trail, which was in much worse shape than Buck
Hollow trail. I know one thing - the blueberries are going to be
unbelievable in 2 more years - new blueberry bushes everywhere along the
ridge. Unfortunately, the stinging nettle is also doing well.

The 2400 foot descent was a bit harder on the knee - I put on a knee
brace I had. Lots of stairs, rocks, treacherous rolling pea-gravel,
extended 35 degree slopes. Still, I made it. No swelling (Thanks, Advil)
as of this evening.

So I guess I am good to go on my White Mountains traverse next week.

- Gary from Fairfax