[at-l] PA RUCK what do you want?

In a message dated 7/13/01 7:22:10 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
kahley7@ptd.net writes:

> Shall we pull down the website?
>
> The website was maybe my idea too <sigh>. But that was an effort to
> duck the dozens and dozens of pri emails I was getting asking for
> details and phone numbers and how muchs and when will this be's.

First - I'm glad we put the website up.  Several people found the site and
just showed up at the Ruck unexpectedly.  At least one of those people - Mars
- is hiking this year, and he really appreciated the advice and support he
got from the Ruck, and a chance to see so many other types of gear.  Besides
- it *is* nice to be able to answer most Ruck questions with "See
http://friends.backcountry.net/ruck"; ;)

I don't know the answer to the size issue.  This years Ruck was the first I
attended.  I wouldn't have changed a thing about it. (Except maybe being able
to get into the bunk I paid for <g> but then again, I slept so little it
didn't matter much.)  I think people spread out rather well into the
different rooms, onto the porch, etc.  Of course, the main room was packed
like sardines for the wedding - but until that happened, I didn't really
realize how many people were there.  The lines for food were a bit long, but
they did seem to move at a good clip.  Maybe it *does* make more sense for
everyone to bring their own stoves and cook their own food for the most part,
I dunno.  I do understand your desire to step down as coordinator - I was a
nervous wreck until *after* the wedding - then I could relax.  You must have
felt that way all weekend.

Even though there were a lot of people there, it was comprised more of lots
of little groups of people in different areas having that small, face to face
experience.  I agree w/ Jim as far as we're not trying to replace or compete
with the Gathering.  The Gathering is an awesome event, extremely
informational if you're planning a thru hike.  But there are so many
workshops and things going on that it's impossible to get to all of the slide
shows or talks that you want to.  I think the most popular thing going was
the "talk to a thru hiker" - and there was a huge room full of people asking
questions of a few people.  I think the Ruck offers much more one on one,
personal chances to talk to thru hikers and get your questions answered,
without having to raise your hand, wait your turn, and speak in front of a
large audience.

Another thing to consider - if not for the Ruck, how many of us would
actually get to spend that much time talking to Earl?  At the big Trail
events, you get to walk up, say hello, and maybe get your picture taken,
because there are so many people who want to meet him.  At the Ruck, he is
much more accessible - and seems to thrive on the whole event.  I recall his
sister had a hard time dragging him home this year. :)

You asked what we want.  This is my take on it - others will have others.
Hopefully we can all come to some kind of consensus and take it from there.

I think keeping it at Pine Grove is a naturally limiting thing.  In other
words, it can't get much bigger than this year was.  And I'd like to still
see it happen.  And for those who desire a smaller crowd, a smaller more
intimate event, maybe mini-rucks could fill that need.  We could put those
mini-rucks up on the website - and that way people who are looking for advice
before their thru could attend one near them. (Mars showed up at the PA ruck
after finding the website because he lived close by - maybe there were people
in NC or VA who would have liked to come but didn't because of the distance
involved)

We already have groups of us getting together - all over the country.  Like
the recent get together in CO to send Skeeter on his way.  Or even the small
get together in Erwin this week of myself, Miss Janet, Sly and weathercarrot.
 It doesn't take much to get a few hikers together, and with advance notice,
a few more people could come.

I don't know if that's the answer or not.  But for myself, I'd like to see
the PA Ruck stay where it is, not turn it into a Trail Days or Gathering by
finding a bigger place and turning it into a major event requiring extensive
planning and rules and committees :)

The Redhead

multipart/alternative
  text/html