[at-l] The Ruck

A couple thoughts --

The Ruck was originally intended to be a one-on-one between those who had
thruhiked the Trail and those who intended to thruhike the Trail.
The first Ruck was just that, the second less so.  At this point, as I said
to Ginny last night, the Ruck has become "fashionable".  This year there
were people who showed up for a couple hours in order to see what it was
and/or to get "face time".  Next year it'll get worse(?) in that respect.
But that's a minor issue.  Most of us go there for much the same reasons -
to teach and to learn, to meet friends, to talk trail, for a social weekend.

The major issue is simply "size".  Two years ago (Jan 2000) there were about
100 people there.  Ginny and I were just off the CDT and deep into
"hibernation" mode (i.e. - depression).  And it literally blew our minds -
neither of us was at all happy.  And we nearly didn't come back this year.
If we hadn't been scheduled for some time to talk to the prospective
thruhikers we probably wouldn't have been there.  We love you all, but too
many people is a turn-off for us, especially when we're straight off the
Trail.  And we're burdened by the memories of what the Ruck was supposed to
have been - a small, intimate gathering of those with common interest -
specifically, thruhiking the AT.

OK - so it's gotten beyond that.  As Kahley pointed out, and as we
experienced this year - the main purpose of the Ruck is still  fulfilled - a
piece at a time, in odd corners, at odd hours, because the one-on-one
conversations, the small groups, still gather and talk about the important
business - how to get from one end of the Trail to the other.  The Ruck
still lives - even in the midst of chaos.

The location has also become an issue - and it shouldn't be.  Ironmaster's
is too large to be what the original Ruck was envisioned to be.  And it's
too small to accomodate all the people who want to attend.

By the second Ruck, the concept of "many" Rucks was formulated - but it
didn't start to happen until OB stepped in and did something about it.
Thank you, OB.  The idea that the PA Ruck should be the "only" Ruck or even
the "main Ruck" is one that needs some re-examination.  The PA Ruck should
be one of "MANY" Rucks.  There should be one (or more) in Georgia, in
Arizona, in Minnnesota, in Maine, in ..... (wherever there are people who
are interested).  Like this list - the Ruck is about friendship, about
passing on information on a person-to-person  basis, about talking trail,
about learning and teaching and laughing.  And eating.  It's about people.

So --- should the PA Ruck move?    NO.

Why?

First, because Earl has been promised that it would be at Ironmaster's as
long as he lives.  Most of you didn't know that, did you?  But as long as he
lives, there will be "a" Ruck at Ironmasters, even if I'm the only one to
show up for it.

Second - to move to a larger facility would invite even larger crowds.  And
while we'd love to see "everyone" - it would be a little much.  It would
become another ALDHA Gathering.  And that's not - or at least has not been -
the object of the exercise.  There was never any intent to "compete" with
the Gathering or to be "THE MID-WINTER GATHERING".
It may become so, but I hope not.

Third - because we've looked for other places and not found anything more
suitable.  There are other facilities, but as Kahley pointed out, they would
require formal organization, registration, money up-front, etc.  We don't
have that - and have never really wanted it.  It may yet happen, but I'm not
interested in rushing it.  And I'm not interested in "competing" with ALDHA
- I'd much rather support ALDHA.  The Trail community doesn't need to be
more fragmented -

Fourth - Ironmaster's, as a location, truly fits the word "traditional".
It's "on" the Trail, and it has provided service to hikers for many years.

For Kahley - the auction, the growth, the crowds - were not, in my view,
mistakes.  Nor were they "bad".  They were a necessary stage in the growth
of what I'm gonna start calling "The Rucks".  The overcrowding at
Ironmasters partially prompted the Georgia Ruck last year.  Hopefully, that
trend will continue.  In fact, maybe we should start thinking about a New
Hampshire Ruck this year - and maybe a Virginia or North Carolina Ruck.  Any
takers on that one?    :-)

The auction supported a worthy cause - maybe we need to find other worthy
causes to support, but not necessarily in the same way, not necessarily
through the Ruck - maybe through the list?

And I don't think it's broken - I think that, like every other child, it's
grown beyond those who conceived it.  I think it needs to be re-examined,
maybe guided in a different direction.  And I think it needs to talked about
by those who are most involved - the membership of this list.  Not just
Kahley and me and Sly - but by all those who have been there and have ideas
about how to make it "better", and especially by those who would like to go
- and have needs that might be fulfilled.

How many prospective thruhikers are out there?  How many have questions?
How many need help with their pack weight?  How many have fears that those
who have thruhiked have faced and could help you handle? (Bears, for
example?)  We, too, have needs - we need your input for this because the
Ruck is, or should be, your function, your weekend to get help and
encouragement and knowledge.  And to have some fun along with it.  And to
become a part of what some of us call the "Trail community".

But  - but -- but -- isn't that the function of the Gathering?  Yes - it is
- and if at all possible you should go to the Gathering.  But not everyone
can go there, not everyone gets everything they need out of the Gathering,
not everyone even knows about the Gathering.  Not everyone is comfortable at
as big a function as the Gathering has become.  The Ruck is an alternative -
or an addition, not a replacement.

The Ruck was designed as a smaller, more informal, more intimate and (God
help me) "traditional" way to help prospective thruhikers.  I'd like to see
it survive and continue performing that function.

There's more - but I've run out of time right now so it'll have to keep.
Y'all have a good day.

Walk softly,
Jim