[at-l] PA RUCK what do you want?

At 11:51 PM 7/11/01 -0400, Slyatpct@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 7/11/2001 5:25:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>garyticknor@starpower.net writes:
>

>Yeah, in my opinion, kind of blows the original idea of a small get together
>for thru-hiker wanna bees etc..  Not that I'm against that, but at one point
>all you had to do is go there, now you have to make reservations well in
>advance.
>
>Soon enough, it probably shouldn't be advertised (even on this list) or
>brought to a bigger venue.

If it moves to a bigger venue it will be at someone else hands, fer sure.
The size limitations of the mansion are the only thing that will restrict
unlimited growth.  Seems like hikers are starved for something Trail related
in the winter.  I get the willees seeing it advertised by the ATC, but last
year,
four wannabees found us that way, just showed up and all were very grateful
for the opportunity.  If we keep it a secret, how do we reach the people for
whom it is intended?  Seriously asking for input.....do we restrict attendance
to thrus and wanabees only?  I think I'd get hung if I tried that <g>.
It is also an AT-L "family affair" after all.

One thing though..there will be less food provided this year, unless someone
steps up to take charge of the other meals.  There will still be the welcome
dinner which is already paid for by last year's contributions.  And the
Saturday
night pot luck...I'll start bugging ya'll for food in January.

Doc Gary has again graciously offered his Sunday morning pancakes.

The rest of the meals will be up to someone else or the hikers themselves.
Might be a little rough with everyone trying for kitchen time but I think
it will work
out.  Of course we can always bring our stoves and cook our own pot of
Ramen on
the porch but if someone volunteers to take over the other meals, that will
be fine too.  Any thoughts would be most eagerly heard as to how to
diminish the food line problem.,,aaarrrggghhh.

As to formal presentations, we'll be backing off from that a bit more this
year.
The Gathering provides such great coverage of that material, I hope everyone
plans on being at Hanover in October.  The Ruck is just not set up for such.
But, I'm pretty sure John O will be there with the latest in lightweight
gear tips.
It's just too much fun to play with all his gear to skip that part
<grin>.  I hope
other people will bring their tents and packs and let people get a hands on
chance to try stuff that isn't available in the average outfitters.  Maybe some
how to's on home made stoves and someone suggested a bear bagging contest
down in the campground.  Now that should be a hoot.  Maybe we ask Bearbag
to be the judge?  LOL

No weddings are scheduled at this time .

We hope to have slide shows for some interesting walks.  Do I hear
any volunteers?  This year, in an effort to reduce the crowding in the
"media room" ROTFLOL....we hope to have two showings of the slides
so we don't have to be packed in there like sardines......

I think the big benefit of the PaRuck is a chance to meet people who have been
there and done that and talk with them one on one.  Anklebear put it well last
year....people are just so accessible at the Ruck.  Just sit down and start
talkin!
Of course, Earl, our favorite Ruckster will be there if, as he says "his
health holds".
And  Sunday morning pack Tuckerization....just beware...it can be a shocking
experience...just ask friend Bowyer <VVVBG>.

OK.....floor's open for input.  This is your Ruck.  Tell me what you want
to happen
in '02.