[at-l] Bear Phobia

At 12:49 AM 7/12/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I need some reassurance.  I am really into this hiking thing, but I am also
>terrified of bears.

I've seen two bears. in 1975 in the smokies. Both were running down hill.
When they spotted us one turned and RAN uphill away from us and the other
kept on running downhill. It was all over in 30 to 40 seconds. The key and
common thread in bear problems is the bear who gets accustomed to people
and loses its natural fear of man. Example, feed a bagel to a bear and get
scratched, or don't hang your food bag well, teaching the bear that certain
trees grow easy food.
Black Wolfe