[at-l] Titanium Pots

In a message dated 7/11/2001 7:19:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
revmrf@kingcon.com writes:

> OK, I'll bite.  How 'rare' is rare.  It seems to be an ethical question for
> you.  Where do you get your data?  Is there a shortage of titanium?  Where
> is the line drawn?  HYOH.  marty

Not rare at all.

Wildbill
Titanium is abundant in the earth's crust and is extracted commercially from
the ore minerals rutile (titanium dioxide) and ilmenite (iron-titanium
oxide). The commercial extraction process involves treatment of the ore with
chlorine gas to produce titanium tetrachloride, which is purified and reduced
to a metallic titanium sponge by reaction with magnesium or sodium. The
sponge, blended with alloying elements (and reclaimed scrap) as desired, is
then vacuum melted. Several meltings may be necessary to achieve a
homogeneous ingot which is ready for processing into useful shapes, typically
by forging followed by rolling. For many applications the cost of titanium
alloys can be justified on the basis of desirable properties.
 <A HREF="http://www.titanindia.com/lib.html";>TiTaN's - Library</A>

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---