[at-l] Fw: light weight food

It sounds like you might want to get some information from the
BackpackingLight e-list via Yahoogroups.com. There are several files
regarding lightweight food, as well as recipes. We have had another lister
post recipes here, but apparently she is either on vacation or somehow was
discouraged in sending recipes here. (Linda, if you are reading this,
please let us know you are okay.)

Nutrition in hiking is very important. It is possible to get preoccupied
with calories per ounce and miss on the need for other considerations. This
might include roughage, minerals, protein, calcium and longer lasting
calories than starch and pasta may deliver. Taste is important to many of
us. I've been impressed with the cheap cup of soup products at Big Lots for
calories and flavor, essentially freeze dried meals that fit a snack sized
Ziplock for travel and reconstitute easily in a stand up bag or cup. I like
them most for quick calories and warm up during a long lunch break or early
start on supper.

You can add your own freeze dried veggies, jerky and other items to make
these more variable and tasty.

OrangeBug