[at-l] Ursac Ultra defeated

This was posted yesterday on another list.
John O

This is a long story with a lot of details. It will take a few days to
formulate and post. Pics back on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the minimum facts: The Ursack Ultra was used all week,
exactly as
the mfg suggests with no problem until 2:30 am last Friday. I was
camped on
the edge of Vidette Meadow a stones throw from the JMT north sign, on
the
Bubb's Creek Trail. This is 14 miles from Cedar Grove Road End in
King's Cyn
NP. I was ready to do the uphill on the JMT to the lakes to fish, and
return
to Road End via Wood's Creek Trail a few days later.

A large black bear began raking the bag, hanging about eye level,
with both
paws, making loud scraping sounds. He (or she, to be fair) climbed up
the
tree behind the bag, pulling and biting at the cords, making it jerk
up and
down. The eyes looked about 10 inches apart as glowing balls in my
flashlight. Fear magnification no doubt, but the head was huge. No
response
to yelling and flashing lights. I threw all my bedding and clothes in
my
pack
and left the tarp set up. I retired to a hillside nearby where the
scratching
and scraping noises went on for 2 hours. I figured that the bear
would give
up and I would have pulverized food for a few days. No big problem.

After a half hour of silence, I went back to find that my bright, new,
yellow
Ursack had magically become a dark brown cone looking more like a
wasps nest
than anything else. The cord had held, and it was still hanging. But
there
was, yes, there was a 3 inch hole in the side just above the bottom
seam.
And
a perfect circle of shredded foil, plastic and packaging about 3 feet
in
diameter below the wrecked bag.

The bear had penetrated both layers of the bag and gotten a week of
garbage
(including used toilet paper), and my remaining 3 days food. Trip
over, it
was 14 miles out, and a long interview with the NPS Bear Technician.
(Yes, I
picked it all up, every scrap, and packed it out with the slimey,
bear-slobber covered bag.)

Please try to hold direct questions to me as to why I did or did not
do X,
various suggestions, etc, until you get the full story including the
bear
techs comments and insights. I am posting this now at the suggestion
of
JohnO
as emergency information.

My minimum conclusion: Kevlar can't hold up to prolonged wild bear
attack.
Period.

Best, Todd in Tarzana.
             http://www.monmouth.com/~johno/index.html