[at-l] What do you want?

>I'm only one member of the list.  As long as we're asking the question, =
how
>about the rest of you?  And I'm not talking to the "regulars", to those =
who
>post every day, I'm talking to the lurkers.  What do you want? Do you =
want
>the campfire - or do you want the "issues-oriented", constant warfare =
list
>that RnR and Weary would like this list to become?

******

I have watched the various discussions on this and have kept quiet, one =
of the main reasons being that I used the term "mean spirited" a year or =
so ago and got shat upon. Lately someone else used the term  in the same =
context and on same subject.=20

I was afraid to give my opinion for fear of how I would be viewed around =
the campfire and I wonder how many have the same fear. ( there are a lot =
of regulars who have been quiet on this)  There are lots of really nice =
helpful people here and I certainly would not want to be in their bad =
books.

But when I saw the above question, I had to speak out. I did not see the =
original post but I assume it is correctly stated above. If so, I think =
that the question is loaded. I suppose I could word the same question as =
follows: Do you want to discuss issues that relate to the AT and hiking =
or do you want to sit around smiling and agreeing with each other and =
passing marshmallows around the campfire.  BTW I do not know for certain =
who posted the original but I think I know who did.

And what is my opinion about all this?  well if you are interested, here =
it is in point form.

**I really like this list.. I met some of the regulars at trails days in =
1999.  People have been great to me. For example I was offered help with =
moving our journal and was offered space for it. I have asked a number =
of questions and received helpful responses. I am not big on the =
campfire thing but that has to do with my personality and has nothing to =
do with the members of this group. I think the list has to be more than =
just a campfire and has to have room for all kinds of opinions. It =
should have room for those who dont agree with the regulars and for =
those who are not interested in going to the ruck, etc. If you just want =
it to be a place for a bunch of friends to hang out, let me know.

** I tend to agree with most of what Weary says. He tries to be fair and =
listen to all sides. He does not look at everything as black and white.I =
got even more respect for him whn I read the article that was recently =
referred to. I admired him when he argued with you know who on the other =
list and I admire him when he speaks his mind here.

** I have no opinion on R-n-R because I cant figure out what his long =
winded points are, but it would seem its not as much what he says but =
how he says it that infuriates.

** Many have no use for you know who. I do not agree with his heavy =
handed approach and with  a lot of his ideas, but I try to look beyond =
that when trying to judge the usefulness of his site and when looking at =
the efforts he has made with regards to certain causes. He puts more =
effort in them than I would be capable of doing. =20

**This reminds me a little of the Baltimore Jack situation over a year =
ago. A number of people seemed to consider him the enemy at that time, =
and I pointed out all the great things he did for us and others during =
our thru hike. The opinions of Jack seem to have changed and I dont =
think it is because Jack changed.

**One of the best things about the AT that I have ever read are the Thru =
Hiking Papers.  It really expresses the way I feel about the trail. I =
wish I could write as well as the author.   I have often referred people =
to this material and will continue to do so.  However I must say I found =
myself shocked to read some of the posts by this same person in the =
recent discussions.=20

PA (MA & PA 99)

http://www.hikers99.homestead.com

multipart/alternative