Re[2]: [at-l] Wilderness

"Can you point me to some places where I can read about it and find
out exactly how I can help fight it, even though I'm not a Maine resident?
I'd especially like to know how this impacts the part of the AT that runs
thru Maine."

Unfortunately the press in Maine has given only marginal coverage of the issue.

But an important summary is available at
http://www.portland.com/viewpoints/mvoice/010628tilberg.shtml

Maine is trying to protect around a million acres of land, mostly through the purchase of easements.
>From the AT perspective the most important is the West Branch Project and the Debsconeag Project. The
West Branch is the river that runs under Abol Bridge at the entrance to Baxter Park. The Debsconeag
is 200,000 acres of mostly old growth forest and incredible wild lakes just east of the AT and south
of Baxter.

I'll try to provide more info when I get back from the ATC conference.

Weary